Thursday, July 31, 2008

Adventure Bowl
Holy S*%t! Roller Coasters!

So you've thrown out all your copies of useless self-help books and committed to the Adventure Bowl way of life to squash the blues and reinvigorate your life.

Now whaddaya do?

OMG, go ride a roller coaster!

That's what I did as this week's Adventure Bowl and it was a blast. You know me, a little rigid, a splash Type A, an obsessive compulsive planner. I know I'm not living my "best life" (as my girl Oprah would say) that I can and that's why I need to jump out of air planes and ride roller coasters.

Because when control freaks like me let go - we have a ridiculously fun time and then we learn to let go some more.

So, for this assignment, I made my sister go with me because riding roller coasters by yourself makes you look like a lunatic. Besides, she's a teacher so she knows all about stress and having absolutely no free time. "I have no free time," she said. I thought, "How sad! Let's ride roller coasters."

I'm sure she would have rather gone to a spa but the point was to have REAL fun. Massages are a necessity. Laughing, screaming and hurtling into the air is real fun... and come to think of it a necessity, too.

Because she needed more than a little convincing and cajoling, I offered to pay. What does a theme park cost anyway, like $25 -$30 bucks?

Yeah, in 1985.

It was $65 bucks to get in Universal Studios. Holy crap. But I didn't care.

INSERT RANT: Dear Universal Studios, After you financially rape people to get in your theme park - do you really have to have every ride literally end IN A GIFT SHOP???? Haven't we spent enough money? And why is it that their are more places to spend money than there are rides??? For every one ride there must be ten shops, kiosks, lame games and places to buy food. Though the beer carts were a nice touch. So thanks for those.

Anyway, I'll quit my bitchin' to get to the ooey gooey good stuff. First stop, Jurassic Park ride. I deemed this a "baby ride" until the end where we the roller coaster unexpectedly took an AWESOME drop and then we were doused with water.

I literally, could feel myself "let go" after that. i had to. I was literally soaking wet in my clothes and laughing my ass off.

Of course, we rode it again. Mostly, so I could make fun of people that bought rain ponchos so they wouldn't get wet.

Next up, the Mummy Ride. The Mummy Roller coaster was fantastic but incredibly short. But I love a ride that warns you not to ride it if you have 1 of the 75 conditions they had posted. That just leads to the build-up of how scary it must be if you can't ride it if you have, you know a case of... "excessive sneezing" or something.

The Mummy Ride also has a weight limit, which I made the cut. Side note: If you want to feel thin, walk around Universal Studios. I was feeling like a frickin' model there. My sister kept telling me to stop sticking my boobs out but even soaking wet from the Jurassic Park ride, I had not felt this thin and attractive forever in forever!

Saving the best for last, we then went on The Simpsons Roller Coaster. All I can say about that is - IT'S UN-FRICKIN' BELIEVABLE. It's the future! Like nothing I have been on before. Which is why I had to ride it three times.

The day was incredible and amazing. It reminded me why I do this Adventure Bowl even though it's challenging, time consuming and expensive. I do it 'cause I need to, because I have to - because I saved a lot of money laying in bed.

Because sometimes we need to schedule time for big belly laughs, do things that are crazy and make us scared and then thrill us.

I think it would be really hard for me to get depressed again, because I'll be carrying the memory of this day with me and know, all I need to do to get out of it is a big upside down ride and a splash of water in the face.


This blog is dedicated to snow cones with four flavors.
Share/Bookmark

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, I kept checking back, dying to know how it went. Thanks for the hilarious post! Made my day.

RadoMom said...

I went to a disney world water park in Florida a few years ago....I felt like Cindy Freaking Crawford after seeing some of the other tourists. What a great self-esteem boost!

P.S. Thanks for not ranting about the strollers!!!! I might have even ranted about the strollers at Universal =)

Michelle said...

Lady, you made my day! Wanna know why? You made me laugh out loud!!!

I don't know how i missed reading your blog! This is great! I sure have a lot of catching up to do here!!! :O)

Michelle said...

P.S. I just added you to my blog roll so i won't miss any of your exciting funny posts!!!

Carolyn said...

If you really want to let go you should try sky diving! It was the most amazing experience of my life. I thought I was going to puke before I jumped but the free fall and the gliding down to safety is the most beautiful thing. I love Roller Coasters and how they make you feel alive again!!

Anonymous said...

OMG the mummy ride!!!! i dont know if the universal studios in CA is the same as in FL but omg i rode that ride like 3 times, and waited in like like an hr each time. but it was AMAZING. but no Simpsons roller coaster... :( i live 2 hours away from a theme park in OH and its so amazing. i havent been yet this summer, but this entry because now im inspired to go!!

If u are ever in the mid-west, head to Cedar Point. SO much fun! so many rides! then go on the max air (google it!) its the best ride ever!

ok sorry i got a little carried away there... but so happy that u had a great time!

Anonymous said...

I feel like I'm right there eating the funnel cakes. Mmmmm! I just discovered your blog and I can tear myself away. It's awesome. Can't wait to hear what's next.

Blog O' Beth said...

first of all you are crazy brave because my OCD is so bad I could NEVER get on a roller coaster. Never.

second, DUDE THE COST OF PARKS IS RIDICULOUS!! Even to take my 4 yr old who is only going to last like 2 hours would cost me $40 Hello? Am I freakin' Donald Trump? And then you actually expect me to pay for food, water, anything? Holy Cow! I'm in the wrong business

third, the next best thing for your self esteem is the mall. Yeah, I think I WILL buy that bikini after all.

Love the post - will visit again.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THIS ENTRY!!! everything you are talking about is so me, and I'm only 25 and I'm in a rut too. I feel like my life has just gotten away from me and I find your blog sooooo inspiring as a way to get it back.

I read about you on Elle magazine and I'm so glad.

Unknown said...

Congrats on being featured in 215 MAGAZINE. My sister read it and forwarded to me. Had to tell her I was here first! You're getting very popular!!!!

Forgetfulone said...

What an awesome post! I wanna go to Universal Studios, though I totally agree with your rant about rides ending in gift shops like they do at Disney. Roller coasters are awesome!

elife said...

Found your blog today and psychotically read every post. I LOVE the way you write; my new favorite blog!

Anonymous said...

So I have an annual pass to Universal and am probably there at least 3 times a month....but I always just walk around. Your blog inspired me to go tomorrow and ride Revenge of the Mummy ALL day! lol Oh, and to give the Simpsons ride one more chance (the times we have gone on it the ride has broken down leaving us stuck....the climb out of ride at the very top of the building was interesting though ;) ....it is a LONG way down)

Also, if you don't feel like sky diving and jumping out of planes I would suggest the "indoor sky diving" at City Walk......it looks SO fun and it isn't that expensive.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog on the Entertainment Weekly Must List. Now I'm totally hooked. I'm gonna ride a roller coaster, soon, too!

Anonymous said...

Your blog is so awesome. It's so great to see you doing so well after so much has gone wrong (your posts about your cousin made me cry).

Keep being fearless!